As you may recall, we recently held a Night of Vision reception at Cornerstone. The big announcement during the Night of Vision was that we now have the opportunity to purchase the former Blevins building and lot located adjacent to our rear parking lot. This property includes the land where our children’s playground is. The Elders presented a plan to the congregation to turn this building into a Cornerstone Outreach Center.
Some of the potential usage for the facility would be:
- A gathering place for church and community events: Although we have a community room in our current facility, it is small and quite often overcrowded for events. This new facility could actually seat over 200 people for meals and events.
- Fellowship Hall & Kitchen Area: If you have ever been to one of our community meals, you know how much we could use the extra space. The larger space would also allow us better ministry opportunities to coincide with the events since we could then get everyone in the room (rather than staggered over a couple hours’ time).
- Youth Meeting Area: Currently our youth meet in the Worship Center upstairs. The new building would give them an area that is more appropriate for games, meals, and teaching.
- Concerts and Special Events: Having additional space would open up the possibility of doing many more community outreach events.
- Soup Kitchen Possibility: We are also currently discussing the possibility of God’s Storehouse Soup Kitchen using our building for their weekly meals. This would be an incredible outreach opportunity and the space will be much larger and nicer than their current facilities, again, allowing the opportunity for ministry to coincide with the meal-time.
The new building and land will cost $80,000 to purchase. Additionally, the estimated cost to add needed upgrades including a second entrance (necessary for fire codes), bathrooms, a kitchen, and furnishings should be around $50,000.
OUR YEAR-END CHRISTMAS OFFERING
Give and Pledge
This year we plan on using our special year-end Christmas Offering to purchase the building and start developing the new facility. Our hope is to raise a large portion of the cost so that we don’t have to borrow as much towards the building’s purchase. We are challenging the church to join with the Cornerstone Elders in pledging added support for 2019 to cover any additional debt (from the building loan and outfitting) that may be incurred. One scenario we’ve identified is that, if only 40 of our families each agree to contribute an additional $25 per month, we would have an additional $1000 per month to offset those costs. Think about it; that’s the average cost of just one family meal a month and will allow us to move forward with this new, amazing ministry opportunity – without reducing our current ministry efforts.
Our goal this December is to raise a minimum of $35,000 towards the down payment, and to cover the monthly loan payments, through a combination of one-time gifts and 2019 gift pledges.
We are excited about the future of Cornerstone and we feel that God is continuing to open new opportunities for us to serve Him and to reach our community for Christ. Our goal has always been to make disciples and we feel these next steps are the best way to be effective at what God has called us to do with our resources.
As always, if you have any questions, we invite you to feel free to talk with any of our Elders or Administrative Team.
You can give in person using our Christmas Offering envelopes, or online using the link below, or give using our tithely mobile app (please choose Christmas Offering to designate your gift)