Our annual summer baptism and picnic will be on Sunday, August 13th from 5 to 9pm at Camp Dickenson on the New River. It is one of our highlights each year as we celebrate new life in Christ. So far, Cornerstone has been able to celebrate the baptisms of 164 people since we’ve begun! We want to encourage you to attend and celebrate with us, but if you have not been baptized since you have become a believer, we want to invite you to step into the waters with us!
Here are 5 Basic Facts about Baptism if you want to learn more about why we baptize at Cornerstone
- It’s God’s idea. Baptism might seem strange to people new to the faith, but it was God’s idea in the first place. Jesus sent out his first disciples and gave them the Great Commission to go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything Christ commanded. Matthew 28:19-20
- Baptism doesn’t save anyone. Though baptism is clearly commanded in the Bible, it’s also clear that it is not a ritual that saves a person. We start a relationship with God by trusting Jesus, and no good work on our part can add to the completed work of Jesus through his cross and resurrection. We are saved entirely by grace (Ephesians 2:8-9).
- Baptism is an act of obedience. Water baptism, then, is one of the first things we can do practically in our lives to show our desire to live to honor God. It’s a simple sign that we’re coming to God on his terms, not ours. Today he wants us to be immersed in water; tomorrow there will be more to obey.
- Baptism identifies us with Christ and the Church. Water baptism is also an act of identification. Through it, we are identifying with the death and resurrection of Christ. We are also identifying with his people, the church. Romans 6:3
- Baptism is a symbol of new life. Water baptism is symbolic of the Christian life. It symbolizes death to our old way of living and resurrection to a new way of living. Romans 6:4
You can watch this video to learn more
The bottom line: baptism is important. If you’ve put your faith in Christ, you should take this important step of water baptism. What’s holding you back?
If you have questions or would like to be baptized, please click here to signup and let us know.